Financial Terms Canada
- an appraisal of the state of affairs; "they made an assay of the contents"; "a check on its dependability under stress"
- the bill in a restaurant; "he asked the waiter for the check"
- a written order directing a bank to pay money; "he paid all his bills by check"
- write out a check on a bank account
- stop in a chase especially when scent is lost; "The dog checked"
- abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey, of falcons
- hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping; "Check your coat at the door"
- consign for shipment on a vehicle; "check your luggage before boarding"
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
- make an examination or investigation; "check into the rumor"; "check the time of the class"
- train by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control; "Parents must discipline their children"; "Is this dog trained?"
- block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
- be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics; "The two stories don''t agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect''s fingerprints don''t match those on the gun"
- be verified or confirmed; pass inspection; "These stories don''t check!"